San Francisco facial plastic surgeon Dr. Evan Ransom is excited to offer the newest and longest-lasting filler available, Bellafill®. This product is a unique formulation of two different fillers, which lasts up to 5 years in clinical trials. Bellafill® is used to add volume to the face, in the areas of the smile lines (nasolabial and marionette folds), cheeks, and along the jawline. In addition, Bellafill® is FDA approved for the treatment of facial scars resulting from acne. The procedure is performed in the office with topical anesthetic. There is minimal discomfort and no downtime.
Bellafill® is a combination of collagen and polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA). The collagen component of the filler provides an immediate volumizing effect that is shorter-lasting (about 8 weeks). Then, over about 2 to 3 months, the PMMA stimulates your body to make its own collagen. This results in significant and long-lasting revolumization of the treated area. Over time, and with additional treatment, the effects of the Bellafill® may be additive as the collagen-tissue matrix forms in response to the PMMA.
Some patients will have adequate volumization after one treatment, while others may want to return for an additional session as the PMMA response becomes clearer. The treatment effect has been shown to last up to 5 years – much longer than any other commercially available injectable filler on the market. Patient surveys confirm that people receiving Bellafill® remain highly satisfied with their treatment over time.
Who is a candidate?
Anyone with facial volume loss, deep folds, or facial acne scars is a candidate for Bellafill®. In addition, patients desiring a fuller or rounds appearance of the cheeks or a more defined jawline may choose Bellafill® treatment as part of their rejuvenation or aesthetic plan. The ideal patient has localized volume loss or contour irregularities with good overall skin elasticity. Patients with significant skin excess or poor elasticity may be better served with different techniques (e.g., face or neck lift). Dr. Ransom can help you decide if Bellafill® is right for you during your comprehensive facial aesthetic consultation. As a final note, Bellafill® treatment requires a skin test to ensure that no allergy to the bovine collagen component is present. Allergic reaction is extremely rare. The skin test is performed 48 hours or more before the scheduled treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Question: How long does Bellafill® treatment take?
- Answer: Each treatment session takes about 20 to 30 minutes. This involves preparing the skin surface, outlining the injection sites, and placing the Bellafill® injections.
- Question: Does it hurt?
- Answer: Bellafill® is injected with a tiny (27 to 30 gauge) needle with minimal discomfort. In addition, Dr. Ransom uses a topical numbing cream prior to the treatment to further reduce the sensation in the treated area. Ice is applied afterward to reduce any immediate swelling.
- Question: How many treatments are there?
- Answer: The total number of injection sites and syringes used are dependent on the size degree of volume needed or desired by the patient. A follow up appointment is recommended about 2 months after Bellafill® injections to assess the results and direct further treatment.
- Question: What is the downtime? Can I go back to work afterward?
- Answer: There is minimal downtime from Bellafill® treatments. The injected area may be slightly swollen or irritated. This resolves in most patients within 24 to 48 hours. No specific post-treatment measures or restrictions are required, though ice may be applied to the area. Many patients will go back to work after their treatment session; other patients will return the next day. This is largely personal preference. Strenuous activity (e.g., working out) should be avoided for about 24 hours.
Please note that all patients are different and individual healing times and results may vary. The statements regarding procedures and recovery made here are general rules.